Alcohol consumption has been part of many celebrations for centuries and that’s not about to change anytime soon. While taking that one last shot seemed like a good idea at the time, a lot of people regret having had too much to drink when they wake up in the morning.
The dreaded hangover causes a person to feel weak and nauseous the morning after a drinking binge. Another very common symptom is a throbbing headache a person feels after spending the whole night partying. One of the main causes of the pain is dehydration. Alcohol is a known diuretic and the more alcoholic beverages you consume, the more water leaves your body through excessive sweating and frequent urination. To treat or manage a hangover headache, one must deal with the cause of the pain. Here are some tips to help you prevent or recover from a hangover headache.
- Drink moderately. You don’t have to drink excessively to experience a hangover headache. Some people can experience this even after consuming just one or two drinks the night before. The best way to prevent having hangover headaches is to know your limits and try not to drink more than you can handle.
- Hydrate continuously. To avoid dehydration after hours of partying, you should also drink a glass of water every now and then to keep your water level up. Another good idea is to drink a bottle of your favorite rehydrating sports drink before going to bed to replenish the fluids lost because of the alcohol. Do the same in the morning when you wake up. The more you re-hydrate, the better you will feel.
- Avoid homebrew remedies. Everywhere you go, there is someone who will tell you that they know the perfect cure for a hangover. Some of these remedies involve drinking more alcohol after you’ve had more than enough the night before. Not only do most of these homebrew remedies not work, they can do even more harm than good.
- Choose your medication wisely. If you want to pop a pill to ease the pain of a hangover headache in the morning, make sure that you choose one that does not interact with the residual alcohol in your bloodstream or cause your stomach to bleed. Ask your doctor about the safest and most effective over-the-counter medication you can take when you have a hangover headache.
- Eat while drinking. If you’re looking for an excuse to cheat on your diet, drinking alcohol at a party may be it. Foods that are high in fat are actually helpful because they absorb the alcohol, which slow down the process of releasing alcohol into your blood stream and slow down the effects of alcohol on your body, making it easier to take steps to prevent a headache the next day.
The main cause of hangover headaches is the alcohol itself. The best way to prevent the pain caused by too much drinking is, of course, not to drink at all. But, in situations where drinking is expected like a bachelor party, celebratory toast, or even wine tasting, make sure that you stay within your limits and keep yourself hydrated to prevent the ill effects of alcohol on the body.
GD Star Rating
How to Manage Hangover Headaches,